What is kundalini energy?
At the base of the spine, subtler than the physical body, lies the Kundalini energy, or spiritual energy, in a latent form. Regardless of what religious, spiritual, or meditation tradition one follows, the awakening of this energy, by whatever name you call it, is a most innate and essential part of spiritual advancement, unfoldment, or realization; realization of the absolute.
Your personal experience – cannot be treated as evidences by others
(Not readily verifiable by others at any point of time, chosen by them)
During meditation you behold divine visions, experience divine smell, divine taste, divine touch, hear divine Anahata Sounds. You receive instructions from God. These indicate that the Kundalini energy has been awakened. When there is throbbing in Muladhara, when hair stands on its root, when Uddiyana-bandha , Jalandhara-bandha and Mulabandha-bandha come involuntarily, know that Kundalini has awakened.
When the breath stops without any effort, when Kevala Kumbhaka comes by itself without any exertion, know that Kundalini energy has become active. When you feel currents of Prana rising up to the Sahasrara, when you experience bliss, when you repeat Om automatically, when there are no thoughts of the world in the mind, know that Kundalini energy has awakened.
When, in your meditation, the eyes become fixed on Trikuti the middle of the eyebrows, when the Sambhavi Mudra operates, know that Kundalini energy has become active. When you feel vibrations of Prana in different parts inside your body, when you experience jerks like the shocks of electricity, know that Kundalini has become active.
During meditation when you feel as if there is no body, when your eyelids become closed and do not open in spite of your exertion, when electric-like currents flow up and down the nerves, know that Kundalini has awakened.
Awakening of kundalini has tangible, positive and concrete proofs
However you must remember that when you have certain visions and fantastic experiences, they do not necessarily represent the awakening of kundalini or even sushumna channel. They may indicate chakra awakening or they may just be the expression of your archetypes or samskaras. Because of concentration or one-pointedness, you may be allowing an outlet for your deep-rooted samskaras to express themselves. These experiences and those that accompany chakra awakening do not mean anything when you try to assess them.
Each of the forms of awakening is accompanied by its own set of experiences. Many aspirants have psychic experiences and they think they indicate the awakening of kundalini, but this is not so.
When the actual awakening of kundalini takes place, it is a great event in man’s life. Every experience has a tangible proof, whether it is awakening of extrasensory perceptions or the awakening of a particular kind of genius. It may be in the form of a philosophy you are able to deliver to the people, a transformation in the physical elements of the body that you are able to materialize, or a magnetic influence that you are able to cast on the masses of people as a politician, musician or saint. The awakening of kundalini has tangible, positive and concrete proofs. You cannot believe your kundalini is awakened if you have no proof, because when the awakening of kundalini takes place, you completely transcend the normal categories of mental awareness and the scope of your knowledge becomes greater.
Verifiable experiences – can be treated as evidences
(Abilities gifted by Kundalini which can be verified by others)
Real kundalini awakening is always accompanied with verifiable symptoms. Some of them are as follows
- During meditation, you get inspiration and insight, which are helpful to others in a practical sense.
- Nature unfolds its secret to you, all doubts disappear.
- You understand clearly the meaning of the Vedic texts and all scriptures without effort.
- When your body becomes light like air, when you possess inexhaustible energy for work
- When you get divine intoxication.
- When you develop power of oration.
- When you involuntarily perform different Asanas or poses of Yoga without the least pain or fatigue. ( you are able to spend hours in those postures without any discomfort)
- When you compose profound and sublime hymns and poetry involuntarily.
- Verifiable clairvoyance and clairaudience phenomena.
- You get visions of answers of questions asked, on your chidakasha (inner sky), whenever you close your eyes and concentrate. Answers can be verified to find their validity.
11) All other verifiable experiences.
However the main purpose of kundalini awakening is to attain the absolute egoless super conscious state of Samadhi, which is above all. This is the state of gyana /knowledge. One who has attained Samadhi has realized the Truth absolute. History and the Truth Seekers know that the state of Gyana is also a readily verifiable state. Light is readily Visible to you unless you are completely blind.
Ref : 1) yoga-kundalini upanishad
2) kundalini yoga – Swami sivananda
3) Revealed Mysteries of the world divine – Nigurananda / prof. S Sarkar
4) Kundalini Tantra –Swami Satyananda Saraswati