- Soak the Samvat rice (barnyard millet) for an hour and later drain the excess water.
- Add 2 teaspoon of oil/ghee in a heated pan and add cumin seeds. Fry it till it changes the colour.
- Add chilli paste (as required) and ½ teaspoon of crushed black pepper. Stir it well and add potato cubes. Cook it for three-four minutes.
- Add the soaked Samvat rice, stir it. Add water as per requirement, cover the pan and cover it with lid.
- Once the rice is cooked properly add lemon juice and rock salt. Serve it with kadhi/chutney/curd.
Samvat rice khicdi is generally eaten during vart and it is also known as “vrat ke kichdi”. This delicious khichdi can be made with these simple steps: